- This event has passed.
January 13 @ 8:30 pm - 11:30 pm
Come and join us at the first ‘Fly by Night’ invertebrate and nocturnal survey of the year! The weather forecast is looking great with no rain forecast.
Date: Saturday 13th of January
Time: 8.30 pm
Place: Yalukit Willam Nature Reserve (formally known as Elsternwick Park Nature Reserve)
Meet at the YWNA shed, near Elwood bowls club. Parking available inside the gates.
Fly by Night Survey Aims:
- To create a baseline survey of nocturnal invertebrates and other fauna for comparison in longitudinal studies as changes and improvements are made in the reserve.
- To gauge the health of the reserve by the number of species and variation of invertebrates and nocturnal fauna.
- We will monitor and record a variety of invertebrate species using specialist equipment – multispectrum lamps and moth sheets.
- Species will be photographed and images uploaded onto our iNaturalist project to generate data that will also contribute to citizen science. Please sign up to the iNaturalist app to upload your photographs so we can log our observations for our ongoing biodiversity monitoring www.inaturalist.org And please join our project here: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/yalukit-willam-reserve-targeted-project
- There will be a minimum of 2 stations in distinct areas of the reserve manned by at least 2 people at a time. There will be opportunity for movement between stations to observe the different invertebrate species across the reserve.
- Small groups will conduct surveys across other areas of the reserve to identify additional nocturnal fauna such as possums, bats, frogs and fish.
- Survey time for the invertebrate stations will be approximately 3hrs if the conditions are favorable.
- Warm clothes (loose long sleeves, long pants)
- Closed toes shoes
- Snacks and water/thermos
- Picnic rug or chair
- Camera/phone with fully charged battery
- Torch or head lamp
- Insect repellent – in case there are mozzies about
We hope you can join us!
Dassi and Tania